Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 07:36:47PM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> Perhaps we should also add this text from the commit message to ensure
> the importance is understood:
> "This is extremely useful in cases where CIC/RC can run for a very long
>     time, because that used to be a significant headache for concurrent
>     vacuuming of other tables."

Uh, hopefully this idea is captured below.

> Proposed edits:
>
> * "during certain index operations" -> "while concurrent index
> operations run on other tables"

Uh, the problem here is that it isn't clear if we are talking about
concurrent index operations, "concurrently"-enabled index options, or
"concurrently"-enabled concurrent index operations.  I went with
"minimal-locking index operations".

> * spell Alvaro's name correctly

Uh, this is the second time Mutt's default to using iso-8859-1 for
non-ASCII attachments has caused confusion.  I found that using 'set
send_charset="us-ascii:utf-8"' in Mutt fixed this, so the attachment
should now be fine.

> * "row expiration" is a term not currently used in PG docs, so we
> should probably look for something else.

Yeah, I changed that to "removing dead rows" which seems to be our
standard text.

> There are 2 important features here, so the 2nd feature is worth
> mentioning also:
>
> Avoid spurious waits in concurrent indexing
>
> Previously, multiple concurrent index operations could deadlock or
> cause long waits.
> Waits are avoided except for indexes with expressions, or WHERE predicates.

OK, I added text to the bottom to try and capture that;  new patch
attached, now with UTF8 encoding.

Attachment