Re: Simplify COMMENT and SECURITY LABEL documentation - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Simplify COMMENT and SECURITY LABEL documentation
Date
Re: Simplify COMMENT and SECURITY LABEL documentation  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-docs
On 2021-Jun-01, Tom Lane wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> > ...  I wonder if it would be more practical to just write:
>
> >      The name of the object to be commented.  Names of objects that live
> >      in schemas (tables, functions, etc.) can be schema-qualified.
>
> +1 for the concept, but I feel that "live in" is a bit too informal
> for this context.  I'm too caffeine-deprived to instantly come up
> with le mot juste; but perhaps "exist within" would be an improvement?

The glossary uses "reside in".

  <glossentry id="glossary-schema">
   <glossterm>Schema</glossterm>
   <glossdef>
    <para>
     A schema is a namespace for
     <glossterm linkend="glossary-sql-object">SQL objects</glossterm>,
     which all reside in the same
     <glossterm linkend="glossary-database">database</glossterm>.
     Each SQL object must reside in exactly one schema.
    </para>

I suppose that we should either use the same term that the glossary
uses, or alternatively fix the glossary to use whatever term we decide
to use here.

I do notice now that I used the term "belong to" elsewhere in the
glossary.  That could use some cleanup.

   <glossterm>SQL object</glossterm>
    <glossdef>
     <para>
      Any object that can be created with a <command>CREATE</command>
      command.  Most objects are specific to one database, and are commonly
      known as <firstterm>local objects</firstterm>.
     </para>
     <para>
      Most local objects belong to a specific
      <glossterm linkend="glossary-schema">schema</glossterm> in their
      containing database, such as
      <glossterm linkend="glossary-relation">relations</glossterm> (all types),
      <glossterm linkend="glossary-function">routines</glossterm> (all types),
      data types, etc.
      The names of such objects of the same type in the same schema
      are enforced to be unique.
     </para>
     <para>
      There also exist local objects that do not belong to schemas; some examples are
      <glossterm linkend="glossary-extension">extensions</glossterm>,
      <glossterm linkend="glossary-cast">data type casts</glossterm>, and
      <glossterm linkend="glossary-foreign-data-wrapper">foreign data wrappers</glossterm>.
      The names of such objects of the same type are enforced to be unique
      within the database.
     </para>

--
Álvaro Herrera                            39°49'30"S 73°17'W
"No renuncies a nada. No te aferres a nada."