Re: libpq debug log - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From 'alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org'
Subject Re: libpq debug log
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2021-Apr-01, 'alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org' wrote:

> Ooh, wow ... now that is a silly bug!  Thanks, I'll push the fix in a
> minute.

It still didn't fix it!  Drongo is now reporting a difference in the
expected trace -- and the differences all seem to be message lengths.
Now that is pretty mysterious, because the messages themselves are
printed identically.  Perl's output is pretty unhelpful, but I wrote them to a
file and diffed manually; it's attached.

So for example when we expect
! # B    123    ErrorResponse     S "ERROR" V "ERROR" C "42601" M "cannot insert multiple commands into a prepared
statement"F "SSSS" L "SSSS" R "SSSS" \\x00

we actually get
! # B    173    ErrorResponse     S "ERROR" V "ERROR" C "42601" M "cannot insert multiple commands into a prepared
statement"F "SSSS" L "SSSS" R "SSSS" \\x00

[slaps forehead] I suppose the difference must be that the message
length includes the redacted string fields.  So the file in the F file
is 50 chars longer, *kaboom*.  (I'm actually very surprised that this
didn't blow up earlier.)

I'm not sure what to do about this. Maybe the message length for
ErrorResponse/NoticeResponse ought to be redacted too.

--
Álvaro Herrera                            39°49'30"S 73°17'W