Re: libpq debug log - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: libpq debug log
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2021-Feb-03, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:

> Looking the doc mentioned in the comment #39:
>
> +      <literal>flags</literal> contains flag bits describing the operating mode
> +      true, then timestamp is not printed with each message.
>
> PQTRACE_OUTPUT_TIMESTAMPS is designed to *inhibit* timestamps from
> being prepended. If that is actually intended, the symbol name should
> be PQTRACE_NOOUTPUT_TIMESTAMP. Otherwise, the doc need to be fixed.

I'm pretty sure I named the flag PQTRACE_SUPPRESS_TIMESTAMP (and I
prefer SUPPRESS to NOOUTPUT), because the idea is that the timestamp is
printed by default.  I think that's the sensible decision: applications
prefer to have timestamps, even if there's a tiny bit of overhead.  We
don't want to force them to pass a flag for that.  We only want the
no-timestamp behavior in order to be able to use it for libpq internal
testing.

--
Álvaro Herrera                            39°49'30"S 73°17'W
"Someone said that it is at least an order of magnitude more work to do