Re: Context diffs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Context diffs
Date
Re: Context diffs  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan  5, 2021 at 11:21:07AM +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 8:07 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > *  "git apply" and "git am" can't process context diffs (they throw an
> >    error once a context-like section of the diff is hit; simple
> >    adding/removing lines in a block works)
> >
> > *  the commit-fest doesn't recognized context diff attachments as
> > patches:
> >
> >         https://commitfest.postgresql.org/31/2912/
> >
> > *  cfbot can't process file renames/add/delete from context diffs
>
> For the record, cfbot just uses plain old GNU patch, because that
> seems to accept nearly everything that anyone posts here (after a step
> that tries to unpack tarballs etc).  Several people have suggested I
> change it to use git apply instead (IIRC it works better for patches
> containing binary files such as cryptographic keys?), but then it
> wouldn't accept ye olde context diffs.

Does Windows also use 'patch'?  I think I saw Windows behave differently
for file additions.  Does the commit-fest app and cfbot both have the
same criteria for recognizing attachments as patches?  I don't think
they do.