Re: Allow some recovery parameters to be changed with reload - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro Horiguchi
Subject Re: Allow some recovery parameters to be changed with reload
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At Thu, 26 Nov 2020 22:43:48 +0900, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote in

> On 2020/11/12 4:38, Sergei Kornilov wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> >> Anyway, for now I think that your first patch would be enough, i.e.,
> >> just change the context of restore_command to PGC_SIGHUP.
> > Glad to hear. Attached a rebased version of the original proposal.
>
> Thanks for rebasing the patch!
>
>     This parameter is required for archive recovery,
>
> I found the above description in config.sgml. I was just wondering
> if it should be updated so that the actual specification is described
> or not.
> The actual spec is that restore_command is required to start archive
> recovery, but optional (i.e., the parameter can be reset to an empty)
> after archive recovery has started. But this updated version of
> description would be rather confusing to users. So I'm now thinking
> not to update that.
>
> Does anyone object to the patch? If no, I'm thinking to commit the
> patch.

Although I don't object to make the parameter reloadable, I think it
needs to be documented that server could stop after reloading if the
server failed to execute the new command line.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center