Re: Improving connection scalability: GetSnapshotData() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Improving connection scalability: GetSnapshotData()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 05:42:51PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> My test uses IPC::Run - although I'm indirectly 'use'ing, which I guess
> isn't pretty. Just as 013_crash_restart.pl already did (even before
> psql/t/010_tab_completion.pl). I am mostly wondering whether we could
> avoid copying the utility functions into multiple test files...
>
> Does IO::Pty work on windows? Given that currently the test doesn't use
> a pty and that there's no benefit I can see in requiring one, I'm a bit
> hesitant to go there?

Per https://metacpan.org/pod/IO::Tty:
"Windows is now supported, but ONLY under the Cygwin environment, see
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/."

So I would suggest to make stuff a soft dependency (as Tom is
hinting?), and not worry about Windows specifically.  It is not like
what we are dealing with here is specific to Windows anyway, so you
would have already sufficient coverage.  I would not mind if any
refactoring is done later, once we know that the proposed test is
stable in the buildfarm as we would get a better image of what part of
the facility overlaps across multiple tests.
--
Michael

Attachment