Re: Poll: are people okay with function/operator table redesign? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Poll: are people okay with function/operator table redesign?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
If we're doing nicer markup+CSS for this, then it might make sense to
find a better solution for this kind of entry with multiple signatures
(which was already an issue in the previous version):

text || anynonarray or anynonarray || text → text
    Converts the non-string input to text, then concatenates the two
    strings. (The non-string input cannot be of an array type, because that
    would create ambiguity with the array || operators. If you want to
    concatenate an array's text equivalent, cast it to text explicitly.)
    'Value: ' || 42 → Value: 42

I think it would make sense to split the first line to put each of the
two signatures on their own line.  So it would look like this:

text || anynonarray
anynonarray || text → text
    Converts the non-string input to text, then concatenates the two
    strings. (The non-string input cannot be of an array type, because that
    would create ambiguity with the array || operators. If you want to
    concatenate an array's text equivalent, cast it to text explicitly.)
    'Value: ' || 42 → Value: 42

Another example:

to_ascii ( string text [, encoding name or integer ] ) → text

should be (I think):

to_ascii ( string text [, encoding name ] ) → text
to_ascii ( string text [, integer ] ) → text