Re: where should I stick that backup? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: where should I stick that backup?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* David Steele (david@pgmasters.net) wrote:
> On 4/12/20 6:37 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> >>
> >>We don't exchange FDs. Each local is responsible for getting the data from
> >>PostgreSQL or the repo based on knowing the data source and a path. For
> >>pg_basebackup, however, I'd imagine each local would want a replication
> >>connection with the ability to request specific files that were passed to it
> >>by the main process.
> >
> >I don't like this much. It'll push more complexity into each of the
> >"targets" and we can't easily share that complexity. And also, needing
> >to request individual files will add a lot of back/forth, and thus
> >latency issues. The server would always have to pre-send a list of
> >files, we'd have to deal with those files vanishing, etc.
>
> Sure, unless we had a standard interface to "get a file from the PostgreSQL
> cluster", which is what pgBackRest has via the storage interface.

There's a couple of other pieces here that I think bear mentioning.  The
first is that pgBackRest has an actual 'restore' command- and that works
with the filters and works with the storage drivers, so what you're
looking at when it comes to these interfaces isn't just "put a file" but
it's also "get a file".  That's actually quite important to have when
you start thinking about these more complicated methods of doing
backups.

That then leads into the fact that, with a manifest, you can do things
like excluding 0-byte files from going through any of this processing or
from being stored (which costs actual money too, with certain cloud
storage options..), or even for just storing *small* files, which we
tend to have lots of in PG and which also end up costing more and you
end up 'losing' money because you've got lots of 8K files around.

We haven't fully optimized for it in pgBackRest, yet, but avoiding
having lots of little files (again, because there's real $$ costs
involved) is something we actively think about and consider and is made
possible when you've got a 'restore' command.  Having a manifest where a
given file might actually be a reference to a *part* of a file (ie:
pgbackrest_smallfiles, offset: 8192, length: 16384) could result in
savings when using cloud storage.

These are the kinds of things we're thinking about today.  Maybe there's
some way you could implement something like that using shell commands as
an API, but it sure looks like it'd be pretty hard from here.  Even just
managing to get users to use the right shell commands for backup, and
then the right ones for restore, seems awful daunting.

I get that I'm probably going to get flak for playing up the 'worst
case', but the reality is that far too many people don't fully test
their restore processes and trying to figure out the right shell
commands to pass into some 'restore' command, or even just to pull all
of the data back down from $cloudstorage to perform a restore, when
everything is down and your boss is breathing down your neck to get it
all back online as fast as possible, isn't how I want this project to be
remembered.  David and I are constantly talking about how to make the
restore process as smooth and as fast as possible, because that's where
the rubber really meets the road- you've gotta make that part easy and
fast because that's the high-pressure situation.  Taking backups is
rarely where the real pressure is at- sure, take it today, take it
tomorrow, let it run for a few hours, it's all fine, but when you need
something restored, you best make that as simple and as fast as
absolutely possible because that's the time when your entire business is
potentially going to be offline and waiting for you to get everything
back up.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment