Re: Add A Glossary - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: Add A Glossary
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 03:26:02PM -0400, Corey Huinker wrote:
> Just so I can prioritize my work, which of these things, along with your
> suggestions in previous emails, would you say is a barrier to considering
> this ready for a committer?

To answer your off-list inquiry, I'm not likely to mark it "ready" myself.
I don't know if any of these would be a "blocker" for someone else.

> > Here's some ideas; I'm *not* suggesting to include all of everything, but
> > hopefully start with a coherent, self-contained list.
>
> > grep -roh '<firstterm>[^<]*' doc/src/ |sed 's/.*/\L&/' |sort |uniq -c
> > |sort -nr |less

I looked through that list and found these that might be good to include now or
in the future.  Probably all of these need language polishing; I'm not
requesting you to just copy them in just to say they're there.

join: concept of combining columns from two tables or other relations.  The
result of joining a table with N rows to another table with M rows might have
up to N*M rows (if every row from the first table "joins to" every row on the
second table).

normalized: A database schema is said to be "normalized" if its redundancy has
been removed.  Typically a "normalized" schema has a larger number of tables,
which include ID columns, and queries typically involve joining together
multiple tables.

query: a request send by a client to a server, usually to return results or to
modify data on the server;

query plan: the particular procedure by which the database server executes a
query.  A simple query involving a single table could might be planned using a
sequential scan or an index scan.  For a complex query involving multiple
tables joined togther, the optimizer attempts to determine the
cheapest/fastest/best way to execute the query, by joining tables in the
optimal order, and with the optimal join strategy.

planner/optimizer: ...

transaction isolation:
psql: ...

synchronous: An action is said to be "synchronous" if it does not return to its
requestor until its completion;

bind parameters: arguments to a SQL query that are sent separately from the
query text.  For example, the query text "SELECT * FROM tbl WHERE col=$1" might
be executed for some certain value of the $1 parameter.  If parameters are sent
"in-line" as a part of the query text, they need to be properly
quoted/escaped/sanitized, to avoid accidental or malicious misbehavior if the
input contains special characters like semicolons or quotes.

--
Justin