Re: REGEXP_REPLACE : How to use a column value in the regex - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: REGEXP_REPLACE : How to use a column value in the regex
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 06:37:11AM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/functions-matching.html
>
> The documentation doesn't talk about any regex syntax for using a column
> from the db in the pattern. There is no mention if this is NOT supported.
> All the examples are using static string and none using a DB column
> values.
> e.g. I have a field *portfolio* which had data like CloudPlatform (Public),
> CloudPlatform (Private), MobilePlatfom (Public),.. etc
> These values are coming from another table *platformtypes" which has these
> values Public, Private, Hybrid...etc.
> I want to replace these types from the portfolio names, i was able to do it
> using string
> *SELECT
> Portfolios.PortfolioName,REGEXP_REPLACE(Portfolios.PortfolioName,'(\(Public\))',''),
> but I would like to use something  like
> *REGEXP_REPLACE(Portfolios.PortfolioName,'(\(platformtypes.Name\)),'')*

Sure, you can do it ('a' -> 'X'):

    CREATE TABLE TEST (x text);
    INSERT INTO test VALUES ('a');
    SELECT REGEXP_REPLACE(relname, x, 'X') FROM pg_class, test;
                    regexp_replace
     pg_toXst_36526
     pg_toXst_36526_index
     test
     pg_stXtistic
     pg_type
     pg_toXst_2600

You can also combine column names with literal text ('ta' -> 'YY'):

    SELECT REGEXP_REPLACE(relname, 't' || x, 'YY') FROM pg_class, test;
                    regexp_replace
     pg_toast_36526
     pg_toast_36526_index
     test
     pg_sYYtistic

I didn't think it was worth documenting this.