Re: making the backend's json parser work in frontend code - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: making the backend's json parser work in frontend code
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2020-Jan-24, Mark Dilger wrote:

> I would expect, therefore, that we only back up files which match our
> expected file name pattern and ignore (perhaps with a warning)
> everything else.

That risks missing files placed in the datadir by extensions; see
discussion about pg_checksums using a whitelist[1], which does not
translate directly to this problem, because omitting to checksum a file
is not the same as failing to copy a file into the backups.
(Essentially, the backups would be incomplete.)

[1] https://postgr.es/m/20181019171747.4uithw2sjkt6msne@alap3.anarazel.de