Re: Protect syscache from bloating with negative cache entries - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro Horiguchi
Subject Re: Protect syscache from bloating with negative cache entries
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello.

At Tue, 21 Jan 2020 14:17:53 -0500, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote in
> > On 2020-Jan-21, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> >> Not sure about the appveyor build (it seems to be about jsonb_set_lax),
>
> FWIW, I think I fixed jsonb_set_lax yesterday, so that problem should
> be gone the next time the cfbot tries this.
>
> >> but on travis it fails like this:
> >> catcache.c:820:1: error: no previous prototype for ‘CatalogCacheFlushCatalog2’ [-Werror=missing-prototypes]
>
> > Hmm ... travis is running -Werror?  That seems overly strict.  I think
> > we shouldn't punt a patch because of that.
>
> Why not?  We're not going to allow pushing a patch that throws warnings
> on common compilers.  Or if that does happen, some committer is going
> to have to spend time cleaning it up.  Better to clean it up sooner.
>
> (There is, btw, at least one buildfarm animal using -Werror.)

Mmm. The cause of the error is tentative (or crude or brute)
benchmarking function provided as an extension which is not actually a
part of the patch and was included for reviewer's convenience.
Howerver, I don't want it work on Windows build. If that is regarded
as a reason for being punt, I'll repost a new version without the
benchmark soon.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi