Re: Increase footprint of %m and reduce strerror() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro Horiguchi
Subject Re: Increase footprint of %m and reduce strerror()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At Thu, 5 Dec 2019 11:36:48 +0900, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote in
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2019 at 03:32:11PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> > It sounds good to me.  Message unification (including printf) needs
> > somehow treating trailing new lines, though.  About translation
> > burden, I'm not sure how the message unification eases translators'
> > work. Identical messages of different commands appear having different
> > neighbours in different po files.
>
> Newlines are a problem.  Still there are cases where we don't use
> them.  See for example pg_waldump.c.  It seems like it would be first
> interesting to fix the code paths where we know we can reduce the
> duplicates.

So, (IIUC) do we replace fprintf()s for error reporting together (but
maybe in a separate patch)?

> > By the way aren't we going to have ereport on frontend?
>
> Not sure that this will happen, there are quite a few things to
> consider related to what error hints and such should be for frontends.
> That's quite a different discussion..

Agreed.

+1 for going that way after having above considerations.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center