Re: Increase footprint of %m and reduce strerror() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Increase footprint of %m and reduce strerror()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 04, 2019 at 03:32:11PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> It sounds good to me.  Message unification (including printf) needs
> somehow treating trailing new lines, though.  About translation
> burden, I'm not sure how the message unification eases translators'
> work. Identical messages of different commands appear having different
> neighbours in different po files.

Newlines are a problem.  Still there are cases where we don't use
them.  See for example pg_waldump.c.  It seems like it would be first
interesting to fix the code paths where we know we can reduce the
duplicates.

> By the way aren't we going to have ereport on frontend?

Not sure that this will happen, there are quite a few things to
consider related to what error hints and such should be for frontends.
That's quite a different discussion..
--
Michael

Attachment