Re: monitoring-stats.html is too impenetrable - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: monitoring-stats.html is too impenetrable
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 09:31:58AM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> There needs to be a tutorial page explaining how to use pg_stat_all_tables
> to find missing indexes, or maybe just an example on monitoring-stats.html
> which is hopelessly inaccessible to a non-expert. I would have never been
> able to figure out anything close to the solution at
> https://www.reddit.com/r/PostgreSQL/comments/e0rx8l/i_was_missing_a_single_index_and_omgf_everything/
> from the existing docs.

Well, it may be as simple as that in some cases, but you also need to
consider other parameters in more complex cases, like:
- Actual CPU consumption done by backends.
- Get stats about predicates (WHERE and JOIN clauses).
- Physical disk access.
- Anything else I don't have on top of my mind.

> Thank you for your kind consideration of this
> request; please do not hesitate to send instructions for how to submit a
> pull request for this, as I would gladly do so. Best regards, -Jim

The Postgres mailing lists are old-school regarding that, so pull
requests sent to the git repository on github or such are not
accepted.  Sending an email with a patch would be just but fine, and
here you would need to patch some of the *.sgml files in doc/.  So if
you have anything you'd like to get changed with fresh ideas, let's
see how you would like things to change and then let's discuss about
it.

Thanks,
--
Michael