Make StringInfo available to frontend code. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Make StringInfo available to frontend code.
Date
Re: Make StringInfo available to frontend code.
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

This patch, in a slightly rougher form, was submitted as part of [1],
but it seems worth bringing up separately, rather than just committing
hearing no objections.

From the commit message:

    Make StringInfo available to frontend code.

    There's plenty places in frontend code that could benefit from a
    string buffer implementation. Some because it yields simpler and
    faster code, and some others because of the desire to share code
    between backend and frontend.

    While there is a string buffer implementation available to frontend
    code, libpq's PQExpBuffer, it is clunkier than stringinfo, it
    introduces a libpq dependency, doesn't allow for sharing between
    frontend and backend code, and has a higher API/ABI stability
    requirement due to being exposed via libpq.

    Therefore it seems best to just making StringInfo being usable by
    frontend code. There's not much to do for that, except for rewriting
    two subsequent elog/ereport calls into others types of error
    reporting, and deciding on a maximum string length.

    For the maximum string size I decided to privately define MaxAllocSize
    to the same value as used in the backend. It seems likely that we'll
    want to reconsider this for both backend and frontend code in the not
    too far away future.

    For now I've left stringinfo.h in lib/, rather than common/, to reduce
    the likelihood of unnecessary breakage. We could alternatively decide
    to provide a redirecting stringinfo.h in lib/, or just not provide
    compatibility.

I'm still using stringinfo in the aforementioned thread, and I also want
to use it in a few more places. On the more ambitious side I really
would like to have a minimal version of elog.h available in the backend,
and that would really be a lot easier with stringinfo available.

I also would like to submit a few patches expanding stringinfo's
capabilities and performance, and it seems to me it'd be better to do so
after moving (lest they introduce new FE vs BE compat issues).

This allows us to remove compat.c hackery providing some stringinfo
functionality for pg_waldump (which now actually needs to pass in a
StringInfo...). I briefly played with converting more code in
pg_waldump.c than just that one call to StringInfo, but it seems that'd
be best done separately.

Comments?

Greetings,

Andres Freund