Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Date
Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)  (Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2019-Jul-10, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Good, so I think we all now agree we have to put the nonce
> (pg_class.oid, LSN, page-number) though the cipher using the secret.

Actually, why do you need the page number in the nonce?  The LSN already
distinguishes pages -- you can't have two pages with the same LSN, can
you?  (I do think you can have multiple writes of the same page with
different LSNs, if you change hint bits and don't write WAL about it,
but maybe we should force CRC enabled in encrypted tables, which I think
closes this hole?)