Re: PGSQL 11.4: shared_buffers and /dev/shm size - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jean Louis
Subject Re: PGSQL 11.4: shared_buffers and /dev/shm size
Date
List pgsql-general
* Konstantin Malanchev <hombit@gmail.com> [2019-07-09 12:10]:
> Hello Jean,
>
> I have 8 GB RAM and /dev/shm size is 4GB, and there is no significant memory usage by other system processes. I
surprisedthat Postgres uses more space in /dev/shm than sharred_buffers parameter allows, probably I don't understand
whatthis parameter means.

> I have no opportunity to enlarge total RAM and probably this query requires too much RAM to execute. Should Postgres
justuse HDD as temporary storage in this case?

That I cannot know. I know that /dev/shm could
grow as much as available free RAM.

Jean