Re: C testing for Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: C testing for Postgres
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 09:42:54AM -0400, Adam Berlin wrote:
> If we were to use this tool, would the community want to vendor the
> framework in the Postgres repository, or keep it in a separate repository
> that produces a versioned shared library?

Well, my take is that having a base infrastructure for a fault
injection framework is something that would prove to be helpful, and
that I am not against having something in core.  While working on
various issues, I have found myself doing many times crazy stat()
calls on an on-disk file to enforce an elog(ERROR) or elog(FATAL), and
by experience fault points are things very *hard* to place correctly
because they should not be single-purpose things.

Now, we don't want to finish with an infinity of fault points in the
tree, but being able to enforce a failure in a point added for a patch
using a SQL command can make the integration of tests in a patch
easier for reviewers, for example isolation tests with elog(ERROR)
(like what has been discussed for b4721f3).
--
Michael

Attachment