Re: Best Filesystem for PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Best Filesystem for PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 02:19:28AM +0000, Stephan Schmidt wrote:
>my Question was meant for a Debian 9 environment with heavy read/wright
>load and very high requirements towards Performance and data Consistency

Well, that's like asking "which car is the best" unfortunately. There's no
good answer, as it very much depends on your expectations, hardware etc.
Everyone wants good performance, reliability and consistency.

Simply said, if you're on current Linux and you don't have any additional
requirements (like snapshotting), then ext4/xfs are likely your best bet.
There are differences between these two filesystems, but it depends on the
workload, hardware etc. Overall the behavior is pretty close, though. So
either you just go with either of those, or you do some testing with your
application on the actual hardware.

If you need something more advanced (like better snapshotting, etc.) then
maybe ZFS is the right choice for you. It also allos various advanced
configurations with ZIL, L2ARC, ...

regards