Re: Best Filesystem for PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Robert Blayzor
Subject Re: Best Filesystem for PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 4/17/19 6:38 PM, Gunther Schadow wrote:
> So looks like XFS won. I like XFS for its ease of use especially when
> growing.
>
> Any ideas on how ZFS might do? ZFS is of course so much more flexible.

That would totally depend on your data sets and expectations. If you're
doing a LOT of random inserts/updates/deletes, etc then you would have
to tune the hell out of ZFS along with right caching layers in place.
Same could be said of reads, but if you have a TON of memory in the
server that's greatly mitigated and work well.

If you're looking to warehouse big blobs of data or lots of archive and
reporting; then by all means ZFS is a great choice.

ZFS certainly can provide higher levels of growth and resiliency vs
ext4/xfs.

--
inoc.net!rblayzor
XMPP: rblayzor.AT.inoc.net