Re: Pluggable Storage - Andres's take - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Pluggable Storage - Andres's take
Date
Re: Pluggable Storage - Andres's take
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2019-02-27 09:29:31 -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> Once the EPQ patch (and two other simple preliminary ones) is pushed, I
> plan to post a new rebased version to this thread. That's then really
> only the core table AM work.

That's now done.  Here's my current submission of remaining
patches. I've polished the first patch, adding DDL support, quite a bit,
I'm planning to push that soon.

Changes:

- I've removed the ability to specify a table AM to partitioned tables,
  as discussed at [1]
- That happily shook out a number of bugs, where the partitioned table's
  AM was used, when the leaf partitioned AM should have been used (via
  the slot). In particular this necessicated refactoring the way slots
  are used for ON CONFLICT of partitioned tables. That's the new WIP
  patch in the series. But I think the result is actually clearer.
- I've integrated the pg_dump and psql patches, although I'd made
  HIDE_TABLEAM independent of whether \d+ table is on a table with the
  default AM or not.
- There's a good number of new tests in both the DDL and the pg_dump
  patch
- Lots of smaller cleanups

My next steps are:
- final polish & push the basic DDL and pg_dump patches
- cleanup & polish the ON CONFLICT refactoring
- cleanup & polish the patch adding the tableam based scan
  interface. That's by far the largest patch in the series. I might try
  to split it up further, but it's probably not worth it.
- improve documentation for the individual callbacks (integrating
  work done by others on this thread), in the header
- integrate docs patch
- integrate the revised version of the xid horizon patch by Amit
  Khandekar (reviewed by Robert Haas)
- fix naive implementation of slot based COPY, to not constantly
  drop/recreate slots upon partition change. I've hackplemented a better
  approach, which makes it faster than the current code in my testing.

Notes:
- I'm currently not targeting v13 with "tableam: Fetch tuples for
  triggers & EPQ using a proper snapshot.". While we need something like
  that for some AMs like zheap, I think it's a crap approach and needs
  more thought.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

[1] https://postgr.es/m/20190304234700.w5tmhducs5wxgzls@alap3.anarazel.de