Re: current_logfiles not following group access and instead followslog_file_mode permissions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: current_logfiles not following group access and instead followslog_file_mode permissions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 10:53:30AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> On reflection, maybe the problem is not that we're giving the file
> the wrong permissions, but that we're putting it in the wrong place?
> That is, seems like it should be in the logfile directory not the
> data directory.  That would certainly simplify the intended use-case,
> and it would fix this complaint too.

Yeah, thinking more on this one using for this file different
permissions than the log files makes little sense, so what you propose
here seems like a sensible thing to do things.  Even if we exclude the
file from native BASE_BACKUP this would not solve the case of custom
backup solutions doing their own copy of things, when they rely on
group-read permissions.  This would not solve completely the problem
anyway if log files are in the data folder, but it would address the
case where the log files are in an absolute path out of the data
folder.

I am adding in CC Gilles who implemented current_logfiles for his
input.
--
Michael

Attachment