Re: [HACKERS] Surjective functional indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Surjective functional indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> > On 2019-01-14 18:53:02 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> But I suspect just doing the revert is already going to be painful
> >> enough :-(
>
> > I assume you're not particularly interested in doing that?
>
> No, I'm willing to do it, and will do so tomorrow if there haven't
> been objections.
>
> What I'm not willing to do is write hacks for pg_upgrade or pg_dump
> to mask cases where the option has been set on a v11 index.  I judge
> that it's not worth the trouble.  If someone else disagrees, they
> can do that work.

I'd love for there to be a better option beyond "just let people run the
pg_upgrade and have it fail half-way through"...  Particularly after
someone's run the pg_upgrade check against the database...

If there isn't, then I'll write the code to add the check to pg_upgrade.

I'll also offer to add other such checks, if there's similar cases that
people are aware of.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment