Re: [HACKERS] Surjective functional indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Surjective functional indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> > * Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> >> After a few minutes' more thought, I think that the most attractive
> >> option is to leave v11 alone and do a full revert in HEAD.  In this
> >> way, if anyone's attached "recheck_on_update" options to their indexes,
> >> it'll continue to work^H^H^H^Hdo nothing in v11, though they won't be
> >> able to migrate to v12 till they remove the options.  That way we
> >> aren't bound to the questionable design and naming of that storage
> >> option if/when we try this again.
>
> > So the plan is to add a check into pg_upgrade to complain if it comes
> > across any cases where recheck_on_update is set during its pre-flight
> > checks..?
>
> It wasn't my plan particularly.  I think the number of databases with
> that option set is probably negligible, not least because it was
> on-by-default during its short lifespan.  So there really has never been
> a point where someone would have had a reason to turn it on explicitly.
>
> Now if somebody else is excited enough to add such logic to pg_upgrade,
> I wouldn't stand in their way.  But I suspect just doing the revert is
> already going to be painful enough :-(

It seems like the thing to do would be to just ignore the option in v12+
pg_dump then, meaning that pg_dump wouldn't output it and
pg_restore/v12+ wouldn't ever see it, and therefore users wouldn't get
an error even if that option was used when they upgrade.

I could live with that, but you seemed to be suggesting that something
else would happen earlier.

> > What if v12 sees "recheck_on_update='false'", as a v11
> > pg_dump might output today?
>
> It'll complain that that's an unknown option.

Right, that's kinda what I figured.  I'm not thrilled with that either,
but hopefully it won't be too big a deal for users.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment