Re: Problem during Windows service start - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Problem during Windows service start
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 05:28:29AM +0000, Higuchi, Daisuke wrote:
> One solution is that status of Windows Service should be changed to
> "SERVICE_RUNNING" even if timeout is occurred because of long time
> recovery. I attached the patch of this solution.

You should register this patch to the next commit fest in the section
for bug fixes to not lose sight of it;
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/22/

+    case PQPING_NO_ATTEMPT:
+        write_eventlog(EVENTLOG_ERROR_TYPE,
_("Server startup failed because of wrong parameter or something\n"));
+        pgwin32_SetServiceStatus(SERVICE_STOPPED);

I haven't put much thoughts into what you propose here, but this status
message is not really helpful for the user.

> Another solution is to backport commit [1] to 9.6 or earlier
> version. However this fix change the content of PID file, so
> incompatible change, I think.

Yeah, let's not go down that road.
--
Michael