Re: pgsql: Add TAP tests for pg_verify_checksums - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: pgsql: Add TAP tests for pg_verify_checksums
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2018-10-19 14:08:19 -0400, J Chapman Flack wrote:
> On 10/19/2018 01:17 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> > On 2018-10-19 10:36:59 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> >
> >> I also categorically disagree with the notion that it's ok for
> >> extensions to dump files into our tablespace diretories ....
> >
> > I'm unconvinced. There already are extensions doing so, and it's not
> > like we've given them any sort of reasonable alternative. You can't just
> > create relations in a "registered" / "supported" kinda way right now, so
> > uh, yea, extension gotta make do.  And that has worked for many years.
>
> For some of us following along at home, this got interesting right here.
> Could someone elaborate on what extensions do this, for what purpose?
> And what would it mean to create relations in a "registered" /
> "supported" kinda way? Has that been the topic of a past discussion
> I could catch up with?

An fdw, like cstore, might be doing it, to store data, for example. The
registered / supported thing would be to have a catalog representation
of on-disk files that is represented in the catalogs somewhow. Right now
you can't really do that because you need a proper relation (table,
index, ...) to get a relfilenode.

Greetings,

Andres Freund