Re: Re: pgsql: Add TAP tests for pg_verify_checksums - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From J Chapman Flack
Subject Re: Re: pgsql: Add TAP tests for pg_verify_checksums
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/19/2018 01:17 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2018-10-19 10:36:59 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
>
>> I also categorically disagree with the notion that it's ok for
>> extensions to dump files into our tablespace diretories ....
>
> I'm unconvinced. There already are extensions doing so, and it's not
> like we've given them any sort of reasonable alternative. You can't just
> create relations in a "registered" / "supported" kinda way right now, so
> uh, yea, extension gotta make do.  And that has worked for many years.

For some of us following along at home, this got interesting right here.
Could someone elaborate on what extensions do this, for what purpose?
And what would it mean to create relations in a "registered" /
"supported" kinda way? Has that been the topic of a past discussion
I could catch up with?

-Chap