Re: 65279 Invisible ASCII Character - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Christoph Moench-Tegeder
Subject Re: 65279 Invisible ASCII Character
Date
List pgsql-admin
## ramsiddu007 (ramsiddu007@gmail.com):

>  If i remove first character it's run. That first
> character is invisible, I have checked that *ascii* value, it is *65279*.

That's not an ASCII-value, ASCII has 8 bits at most.
What you've got there is a UTF-16 Byte Order Mark: 65279 is 0xfeff
(one of the well-known constants).
I'd suggest you get your editor configured to write files without
BOM. Maybe there's a workaround via locale settings - but I have
no machine with an UTF-16 locale available. Another approach is using
recode on your files before concatenating.

This question isn't really for pgsql-hackers - I'm redirecting to -general.

Regards,
Christoph

--
Spare Space