Re: doc fixes: vacuum_cleanup_index_scale_factor - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: doc fixes: vacuum_cleanup_index_scale_factor
Date
List pgsql-hackers
3rd iteration ; thanks for bearing with me.

On Tue, May 08, 2018 at 12:35:00PM +0300, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> Hi, Justin!
>
> Thank you for revising documentation patch.
>
> On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 7:55 PM, Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:

+        In order to detect stale index statistics, the number of total heap
+        tuples during previous statistics collection is stored in the index
+        meta-page.

Consider removing: "during previous statistics collection"
Or: "during THE previous statistics collection"

+ Once the number of inserted tuples since previous

since THE previous

+        statistics collection is more than
+        <varname>vacuum_cleanup_index_scale_factor</varname> fraction of

Since the multiplier can be greater than 1, should we say "multiple" instead of
fraction?

+        during <command>VACUUM</command> cycle.  Thus, skipping of the B-tree
+        index scan during cleanup stage is only possible when second and
+        subsequent <command>VACUUM</command> cycles detecting no dead tuples.

Change "detecting" to "detect".  Or maybe just "find"

Justin