Re: Rationale for aversion to the central database? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter J. Holzer
Subject Re: Rationale for aversion to the central database?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2018-04-28 09:54:27 -0500, Steven Lembark wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 08:02:21 +0200
> "Peter J. Holzer" <hjp-pgsql@hjp.at> wrote:
>
> > On 2018-04-27 22:52:39 +0000, g@luxsci.net wrote:
> > > Perhaps I'm extreme. In my ideal world, developers might not even
> > > know table names! I'm kidding ,sorta...
> >
> > If they don't know the table names, how can they write those stored
> > procedures?
>
> One of the main reasons DBA's need to be pigs. Much spaghetti can be
> avoided in ORM frameworks with well-designed views.

Apparently my remark was too short (and perhaps with too little context)
to be clear.

As I understood g@luxsci.net, they were arguing for writing lots of
stored procedures so that developers wouldn't even have to know the
table names (they would just call the procedures) [Although I now see
that it was somebody else who proposed that as the only interface].

But those stored procedures don't write themselves. Somebody has to
write them and a person who writes code is called a developer. So there
needs to be at least one developer who knows the table names - the
developer of the stored procedures. And that developer should better be
good - API design is hard, and if you take away SQL from your fellow
developers you should give them something better (for the task at hand),
not something worse.

        hp

| |   | hjp@hjp.at         | management tools.

Attachment