Re: Can PostgreSQL create new WAL files instead of reusing old ones? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Can PostgreSQL create new WAL files instead of reusing old ones?
Date
Re: Can PostgreSQL create new WAL files instead of reusing old ones?
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 09:34:50AM -0400, Vick Khera wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 12:35 AM, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
>

>     That looks like a rather difficult problem to solve in PostgreSQL
>     itself, as the operator running the cluster is in charge of setting up
>     the FS options which would control the COW behavior, so it seems to me
>

> You cannot turn off CoW on ZFS. What other behavior would you refer to here?
>
> I suppose one could make a dedicated data set for the WAL and have ZFS make a
> reservation for about 2x the total expected WAL size. It would require careful
> attention to detail if you increase WAL segments configuration, though, and if
> you had any kind of hiccup with streaming replication that caused the segments
> to stick around longer than expected (but that's no different from any other
> file system).

Uh, at the risk of asking an obvious question, why is the WAL file COW
if it was renamed?  No one has the old WAL file open, as far as I know.