Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v12 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v12
Date
Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v12  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v12  (Jesper Pedersen <jesper.pedersen@redhat.com>)
Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v12  (Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2018-03-27 10:34:26 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2018-03-27 10:05:47 -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > On 3/13/18 19:40, Andres Freund wrote:
> > > I've pushed a revised and rebased version of my JIT patchset.
> >
> > What is the status of this item as far as the commitfest is concerned?
>
> 7/10 committed. Inlining, Explain, Docs remain.

I've pushed these three.

As explained in the inline commit, I've found an edge case where I could
hit an assert in LLVM when using a more efficient interaction with
on-disk files.  That appears to be a spurious assert, but I don't want
to ignore it until that's confirmed from the LLVM side of things.

For now LLVM is enabled by default when compiled --with-llvm. I'm mildly
inclined to leave it like that until shortly before the release, and
then disable it by default (i.e. change the default of jit=off). But I
think we can make that decision based on experience during the testing
window. I'm opening an open items entry for that.

Yay. Also: Tired.

Greetings,

Andres Freund