Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v12.2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v12.2
Date
Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v12.2  (ilmari@ilmari.org (Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker))
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2018-03-21 20:06:49 +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 4:07 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > Indeed. I've pushed a rebased version now, that basically just fixes the
> > issue Thomas observed.
>
> I set up a 32 bit i386 virtual machine and installed Debian 9.4.
> Compiler warnings:

Was that with a 64bit CPU and 32bit OS, or actually a 32bit CPU?

> gcc -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith
> -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels
> -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wformat-security -fno-strict-aliasing
> -fwrapv -fexcess-precision=standard -g -O2  -fPIC
> -D__STDC_LIMIT_MACROS -D__STDC_FORMAT_MACROS -D__STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS
> -D_GNU_SOURCE -I/usr/lib/llvm-3.9/include  -I../../../../src/include
> -D_GNU_SOURCE   -c -o llvmjit.o llvmjit.c
> llvmjit.c: In function ‘llvm_get_function’:
> llvmjit.c:268:10: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different
> size [-Wint-to-pointer-cast]
>    return (void *) addr;
>           ^
> llvmjit.c:270:10: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different
> size [-Wint-to-pointer-cast]
>    return (void *) addr;
>           ^
> llvmjit.c: In function ‘llvm_resolve_symbol’:
> llvmjit.c:842:10: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different
> size [-Wpointer-to-int-cast]
>    addr = (uint64_t) load_external_function(modname, funcname,
>           ^
> llvmjit.c:845:10: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different
> size [-Wpointer-to-int-cast]
>    addr = (uint64_t) LLVMSearchForAddressOfSymbol(symname);
>           ^

Hrmpf, those need to be fixed.

> While trying out many combinations of versions of stuff on different
> OSes, I found another way to screw up that I wanted to report here.
> It's obvious that this is doomed if you know what's going on, but I
> thought the failure mode was interesting enough to report here.  There
> is a hazard for people running systems where the vendor ships some
> version (possibly a mystery version) of clang in the PATH but you have
> to get LLVM separately (eg from ports/brew/whatever):

> 1.  If you use macOS High Sierra's current /usr/bin/clang ("9.0.0"),
> ie the default if you didn't set CLANG to something else when you ran
> ./configure, and you build against LLVM 3.9, then llvm-lto gives this
> message during "make install":
>
> Invalid summary version 3, 1 expected
> error: can't create ModuleSummaryIndexObjectFile for buffer: Corrupted bitcode
>
> Then it segfaults!

Gah, that's not desirable :/.  It's fine that it doesn't work, but it'd
be better if it didn't segfault. I guess I could just try by corrupting
the file explicitly...

> Neither of these cases should be too surprising, and users of those
> operating systems can easily get a newer LLVM or an older -- it was
> just interesting to see exactly what goes wrong and exactly when.  I
> suppose there could be a configure test to see if your $CLANG can play
> nicely with your $LLVM_CONFIG.

Not precisely sure how.  I think suggesting to use compatible clang is
going to be sufficient for most cases...

Greetings,

Andres Freund