Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v11 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v11
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2018-03-13 10:25:49 -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 3/12/18 17:04, Andres Freund wrote:
> > │ JIT:                                                                                                       │
> > │   Functions: 4                                                                                             │
> > │   Inlining: false                                                                                          │
> > │   Inlining Time: 0.000                                                                                     │
> > │   Optimization: false                                                                                      │
> > │   Optimization Time: 5.023                                                                                 │
> > │   Emission Time: 34.987                                                                                    │
>
> The time quantities need some units.
>
> > │ Execution time: 46.277 ms                                                                                  │
>
> like this :)

Yea, I know. I was planning to start a thread about that. explain.c is
littered with code like
        if (es->format == EXPLAIN_FORMAT_TEXT)
            appendStringInfo(es->str, "Planning time: %.3f ms\n",
                             1000.0 * plantime);
        else
            ExplainPropertyFloat("Planning Time", 1000.0 * plantime, 3, es);
which, to me, is bonkers.  I think we should add add 'const char *unit'
parameter to at least ExplainProperty{Float,Integer,Long}? Or a *Unit
version of them doing so, allowing a bit more gradual change?

Greetings,

Andres Freund