Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add port/strnlen support to libpq and ecpgMakefiles. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add port/strnlen support to libpq and ecpgMakefiles.
Date
List pgsql-committers
On 2017-10-11 15:28:16 +0000, Tom Lane wrote:
> Add port/strnlen support to libpq and ecpg Makefiles.
>
> In the wake of fffd651e8, any makefile that pulls in snprintf.c
> from src/port/ needs to be prepared to pull in strnlen.c as well.
> Per buildfarm.

Thanks.

> Modified Files
> --------------
> src/interfaces/ecpg/compatlib/.gitignore  | 1 +
> src/interfaces/ecpg/compatlib/Makefile    | 6 +++---
> src/interfaces/ecpg/ecpglib/.gitignore    | 1 +
> src/interfaces/ecpg/ecpglib/Makefile      | 7 ++++---
> src/interfaces/ecpg/pgtypeslib/.gitignore | 1 +
> src/interfaces/ecpg/pgtypeslib/Makefile   | 7 ++++---
> src/interfaces/libpq/.gitignore           | 1 +
> src/interfaces/libpq/Makefile             | 6 +++---

Phew. This is a bit a sad state of affairs. The separate libpq logic for
getting pgport is presumably because of possibly different threading
flags and then because of the appropriate compiler/linker flags for a
shared library?

Wonder if we shouldn't have variants of libpqport that support threading
and shared libraries, but built centrally. libpgport{-shared}{-mt} or
such.  Formally speaking it's not quite right that we don't use
threading aware flags in pgbench for example. Some gcc platforms at
least pretty much assume everything is built with -pthread e.g.

Greetings,

Andres Freund