Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add port/strnlen support to libpq and ecpg Makefiles. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add port/strnlen support to libpq and ecpg Makefiles.
Date
List pgsql-committers
> Phew. This is a bit a sad state of affairs. The separate libpq logic for
> getting pgport is presumably because of possibly different threading
> flags and then because of the appropriate compiler/linker flags for a
> shared library?

I don't see why threading would matter, but building with -fPIC or
not is definitely an issue.

I agree the PITA factor of the current approach keeps increasing.
It sounds a bit silly to build libpgport three ways, but maybe
we should just do that.

Or conceivably we should just build the FE version of libpgport.a
with -fPIC and not worry about whether that loses some efficiency
for client programs.  A lot of distros are effectively forcing
that, or even -fPIE, anyway.