Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] amcheck packages - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] amcheck packages
Date
Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] amcheck packages  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie>)
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Re: Peter Geoghegan 2017-10-01 <CAH2-WzmxNKFmv3R4uEzUsvNzvNF_twB0QF4c-JSnCub0mnRNog@mail.gmail.com>
> I would like to make amcheck available in the pgdg apt repo, in order
> to target earlier PostgreSQL versions. It's available as a contrib
> extension for v10 already, but there is no reason why it cannot be
> used on earlier versions. The Github version has the ability to build
> deb packages already:
>
> https://github.com/petergeoghegan/amcheck
>
> I'll also want to make available the enhancement that is proposed for
> Postgres 11, from the current commitfest [1]. So, the goal will be to
> target Postgres 9.4, 9.5, 9.6, and 10 - v10 will not have an enhanced
> version, which I believe adds significantly more value.
>
> Is there an acceptance process? How can I get the ball rolling on that?

Hi Peter,

all we need is a proper debian/ directory, which your repository
already has. The packaging looks good, even including tests, cool :)

I've configured the build jobs in our jenkins and gave it a go. The
build almost worked, the only problem is that the topmost changelog
entry in debian/changelog has a malformed timestamp which dpkg is
complaining about. On Ubuntu zesty, that problem is even fatal. For
the other dists, everything worked including the testsuite.

Could you fix that changelog entry, possibly adding a 0.3-2 or 0.4-1
stanza? If you use "dch" (dch -i) to edit the changelog, it will take
care of the timestamp.

Also, if you want to build Debian packages from git repo's HEAD, it is
often easier to set debian/source/format to "1.0" which will disable
the "there are changes neither in the tarball nor in debian/patches"
check.

Christoph