Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Assert that we don't invent relfilenodes ortype OIDs in binary - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Assert that we don't invent relfilenodes ortype OIDs in binary
Date
List pgsql-committers
On 2017-06-13 13:45:12 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 01:39:34PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
> > > Uh, is there a reason this is only an Assert(), meaning it only checks
> > > in assert builds.  pg_upgrade already has a lot of checks and they are
> > > all fatal.
> >
> > Yeah, I didn't think it was worth adding overhead to production builds
> > for it.
>
> Uh, you realize there are already many pg_upgrade sanity checks in the
> backend that are not asserts, right?

And?  Not that it'll make a huge difference, but GetNewOidWithIndex() is
a relatively hot-path in some workloads (e.g. with lots of toasted
data), so it actually can make a difference.   And for debugging asserts
are often actually more useful, because you get a backtrace.

I'm not sure what you're actually concerned about here?

- Andres