Re: [HACKERS] [BUGS] Concurrent ALTER SEQUENCE RESTART Regression - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [HACKERS] [BUGS] Concurrent ALTER SEQUENCE RESTART Regression
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2017-05-24 10:24:19 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 9:04 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > At the very least we'll have to error out. That's still not nice usability wise, but it sure beats returning flat
outwrong values.

> I'm not sure.  That seems like it might often be worse.  Now you need
> manual intervention before anything even has a hope of working.

Well, but then we should just remove minval/maxval if we can't rely on
it.

> > I suspect that the proper fix would be to use a different relfilenode after ddl, when changing the seq file itself
(I.e.setval and restart).  That seems like it'd be architecturally more appropriate, but also some work.

> I can see some advantages to that, but it seems far too late to think
> about doing that in v10.

I wonder if that's not actually very little new code, and I think we
might end up regretting having yet another inconsistent set of semantics
in v10, which we'll then end up changing again in v11.

- Andres