[HACKERS] pg_upgrade translation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject [HACKERS] pg_upgrade translation
Date
Re: [HACKERS] [pgsql-translators] pg_upgrade translation  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Translatability was turned on for pg_upgrade on pg10, but it needs some
work.  The choices are we fix it now, or we revert the addition of NLS
there and we do it for PG11.

I think the ugliest one is to change the messages about "the %s server",
which are about a dozen -- things like:
    msgid "pg_ctl failed to start the %s server, or connection failed\n"
where the %s is either "new" or "old".

These need be to be split in two messages, and I think I'd replace the
"old" with "source" and "new" with "target".  Something like this:

*** a/src/bin/pg_upgrade/server.c
--- b/src/bin/pg_upgrade/server.c
***************
*** 285,293 **** start_postmaster(ClusterInfo *cluster, bool throw_error)
                 PQerrorMessage(conn));
          if (conn)
              PQfinish(conn);
!         pg_fatal("could not connect to %s postmaster started with the command:\n"
!                  "%s\n",
!                  CLUSTER_NAME(cluster), cmd);
      }
      PQfinish(conn);

--- 285,297 ----
                 PQerrorMessage(conn));
          if (conn)
              PQfinish(conn);
!         if (cluster == &old_cluster)
!             pg_fatal("could not connect to source postmaster started with the command:\n"
!                      "%s\n", cmd);
!         else
!             pg_fatal("could not connect to target postmaster started with the command:\n"
!                      "%s\n", cmd);
!
      }
      PQfinish(conn);