Re: [HACKERS] OK, so culicidae is *still* broken - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [HACKERS] OK, so culicidae is *still* broken
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2017-04-24 14:43:11 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> (We have accepted that kind of overhead for DSM segments, but the
> intention I think is to allow only very trivial data structures in
> the DSM segments.  Losing compiler pointer type checking for data
> structures like the lock or PGPROC tables would be horrid.)

The relptr.h infrastructure brings some of the type-checking back, but
it's still pretty painful.  And just as important, it's quite noticeable
performance-wise.  So we have to do it for dynamic shm (until/unless we
go to using threads), but that doesn't mean we should do it for some of
the most performance critical data structures in PG...

- Andres