Re: [HACKERS] OK, so culicidae is *still* broken - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] OK, so culicidae is *still* broken
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2017-04-24 23:14:40 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
>> In the long run we'll probably be forced toward threading or far pointers.

> I'll vote for removing the windows port, before going for that.  And I'm
> not even joking.

Me too.  We used to *have* that kind of code, ie relative pointers into
the shmem segment, and it was a tremendous notational mess and very
bug-prone.  I do not wish to go back.

(We have accepted that kind of overhead for DSM segments, but the
intention I think is to allow only very trivial data structures in
the DSM segments.  Losing compiler pointer type checking for data
structures like the lock or PGPROC tables would be horrid.)