Re: [HACKERS] brin autosummarization -- autovacuum "work items" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [HACKERS] brin autosummarization -- autovacuum "work items"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas Munro wrote:

> Another thought about this design:  Why autovacuum?

One reason is that autovacuum is already there, so it's convenient to
give it the responsibility for this kind of task.  Another reason is
that autovacuum is already doing this, via vacuum.  I don't see the
need to have a completely different process set for tasks that belong to
the system's cleanup process.

With this infrastructure, we could have other types of individual tasks
that could be run by autovacuum.  GIN pending list cleanup, for
instance, or VM bit setting.  Both of those are currently being doing
whenever VACUUM fires, but only because at the time they were written
there was no other convenient place to hook them onto.