Re: [HACKERS] Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM)
Date
Re: Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM)  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 04:56:16PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > If we find ourselves in dire need of additional bits, there is a known
> > > mechanism to get back 2 bits from old-style VACUUM FULL.  I assume that
> > > the reason nobody has bothered to write the code for that is that
> > > there's no *that* much interest.
> >
> > We have no way of tracking if users still have pages that used the bits
> > via pg_upgrade before they were removed.
>
> Yes, that's exactly the code that needs to be written.

Yes, but once it is written it will take years before those bits can be
used on most installations.

http://enterprisedb.com