Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Improve pg_dump regressiontests and code coverage - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Improve pg_dump regressiontests and code coverage
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2017-03-20 10:35:15 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Robert,
>
> * Robert Haas (robertmhaas@gmail.com) wrote:
> > I'm glad that you are working on fixing
> > pg_dump bugs and improving test coverage, but my gladness about that
> > does not extend to thinking that the processes which other people
> > follow for their work should be waived for yours.  Sorry.
>
> To be clear, I am not asking for any kind of special exception for
> myself.
>
> I continue to be of the opinion that this entire discussion is quite
> flipped from how we really should be running things- adding regression
> tests to improve code coverage, particularly when they're simply adding
> to the existing structure for those tests, should be strongly encouraged
> both before and after feature-freeze.

I don't think posting a preliminary patch, while continuing to polish,
with a note that you're working on that and plan to commit soon, would
slow you down that much.  There's pretty obviously a difference between
an added 10 line test, taking 30ms, and what you did here - and that
doesn't mean what you added is wrong or shouldn't be added.

And I don't think that expectation has anything to do with being
anti-test.

Greetings,

Andres Freund