Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Faster Expression Processing v4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Faster Expression Processing v4
Date
Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Faster Expression Processing v4  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Faster Expression Processing v4  (Andreas Karlsson <andreas@proxel.se>)
Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Faster Expression Processing v4  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2017-03-14 16:58:54 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> * execInterpExpr.c is quite a mouthful. How about exprInterpreter.c?

I applied most of your changes in the attached version.

Notes:
* I quite like how the EEO_JUMP/EEO_NEXT stuff looks now / after your
  change, that's clearly better.
* I reverted the removal of EEO_SWITCH() - pgindent goes a bit bonkers
  if it can see the switch(), but not the case: statements.
* I re-added ExecEvalStepOp() - for one it's hugely useful during
  debugging, for another I'm actually using it in a follow patch (So JIT
  compilation can run after the interpreter has been initialized).
  Added code guaranteeing that we can't run
  ExecInstantiateInterpretedExpr() twice.
* Renamed EEO_* opcode enum members to EEOP_* as suggested
* I've not yet renamed execInterpExpr.c - I don't like execInterpreter.c
  because it doesn't reference expressions and execExprInterpreter.c
  seems a bit long - but I can live with both (preferring the
  latter). Not that surprisingly I can also live with execInterpExpr.c ;)
* Addressed your size_t sizing concern by using, as is proper anyway,
  intptr_t.
* I tried to clarify the comment in execExpr.c's header that you marked
  as hard to understand.

Greetings,

Andres Freund