Re: [HACKERS] ANALYZE command progress checker - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [HACKERS] ANALYZE command progress checker
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2017-03-10 02:11:18 -0600, Jim Nasby wrote:
> Perhaps instead of adding more clutter to \dvS we could just have a SRF for
> now.

I don't see that as clutter, it's useful information, and keeping it
discoverable is good, not bad.

> At over 2800 rows currently, you're not going to notice one more
> addition to \dfS.

I think it's hard to design a good SRF for this. Because the fields for
different types of progress are different / empty, you can't just
trivially return them as rows.  You'd have to do some EAV like
'command, field_name1, field_value1, ...' type of thing - not
particularly pretty / easy to use.

Greetings,

Andres Freund