Re: [HACKERS] Upgrading postmaster's log messages about bind/listenerrors - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Upgrading postmaster's log messages about bind/listenerrors
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> > database system is ready to accept connections on (1.2.3.4)
>
> That would be a problem from a couple of directions.  First, it wouldn't
> be unusual for there to be half a dozen addresses to list, not just one.
> Even a default configuration would probably read like
>
> database system is ready to accept connections on (127.0.0.1, ::1, /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432)

Yeah, that's probably a bit much to have all on one line.

> which doesn't seem very appetizing to me.  Second, it would be
> considerably messier to implement because the "ready to accept
> connections" message comes out physically distant from the
> StreamServerPort function, and we don't save the struct addrinfo list
> past the end of that function.  So I think the logging setup I had in
> my patch is pretty much the only sane way to do it, and we just have
> to decide whether it's worth exposing at default log level or not.

I definitely think we should include it at the default log level.  We
certainly wouldn't be the first daemon process to do so (bind9 comes to
mind, but I notice ntpd, nrpe, and strongswan do also, and probably some
others).

Thanks!

Stephen